This morning I was queuing for coffee and couldn’t help but overhear the conversation going on between the two women standing behind me. “This is it”, one gal said. “I got up and left the house in the dark, and later I’ll go home and it’ll be dark then too”. The other agreed, “it’s going to be like this for the next few months…I just want to hide in bed and wait for March”.
Their words have been rolling round in my head for most of the day. It’s true that this might be a pretty common discussion at this time of year – heck, you might even have had it yourself in the last week or so – and hey, I get it. I totally agree that it IS more difficult to maintain the same feeling of va-va-voom during the chillier, darker months, and the temptation to hibernate for a while is pretty strong!
However, I’m determined that we can still stay motivated and enjoy every moment. If we don’t, we’ll end up wishing four months of every year away – and that adds up to quite a lot of time when you think about it!
But how exactly DO we keep the sunny vibes alive during the winter months? To give us a head start, I’m sharing a few ways to banish the cold weather blues…
- Get regular rest – at this time of year, your body clock might be all over the place (I blame it on waking up in the dark!) and you might be putting extra stresses on yourself as Christmas starts to get closer and closer. Take time to care for yourself and recharge those batteries!
- Go outside during your day off – so it’s your only free day and all you really want to do is stay at home in your pyjamas…the struggle is real! Try to head outside in the middle of the day, even for an hour. Get some fresh air, bask in the daylight and be reminded how pretty a bright winter’s day is (don’t forget to bundle up!).
- Try something new – I always think switching things up is a good way to keep things interesting, and at this time of year we need it more than ever. If you’ve ever wanted to get bangs cut in, or cook some of those recipes you’ve been pinning, now’s the time.
- Make a list – think about all of the things you’ve done this year so far and write them down, you might surprise yourself. Make a list of the little things that you’ve discovered lately that you love, or make a motivational playlist for your morning commute. There’s only one rule – the list has to be something that will make you smile when you look at it.
- Spend time with your favourite people – call up your posse and plan a day out or a cosy night in. You’ll quickly forget about how dark or cold it is, trust me!
Sure, shorter days and plummeting temperatures might not quite have the same razzle-dazzle as those sundrenched summer months, but it’s still a huge part of our time and it’s what we decide to do with it that makes a difference.
Who’s with me?
Here’s to a wonderful winter,