When it comes to skincare, it’s fair to say that Kiehl’s pretty much changed the game for me. A couple of years back, having a skincare regime seemed like a far-fetched idea – something that surely only people with far too much time on their hands were able to do each day. Who has THAT kind of time, anyway? I used to wonder.
I scoffed at the very idea of having a daily routine with more than two steps (AKA washing and drying), but fast forward to today and I’ve got my application of lotions and potions down to a fine art AND multiple steps…and FYI in reality it takes less than 10 minutes to crack through them all, so it turns out that everyone can actually find that kind of time (picture me looking a bit sheepish right now).
My skin, which was never previously a team player, has never looked better. So what changed? There was no epiphany, or anything quite so dramatic – but a couple of trips to Kiehl’s helped me to understand what type of skin I have, and how to treat it better!
Kiehl’s might have helped me battle with my own skincare woes, but that’s a drop in the ocean compared to the other work being carried out by this classic cosmetics company. Recently I went along to an event with their flagship Buchanan Street store to learn a bit more about this year’s campaign with MTV Staying Alive Foundation, and hear about the brand’s other successes since their humble beginnings.
Today, I’d love to share a little bit of what I’ve learned – so here are 5 things you didn’t know about Kiehl’s*…
- The white lab coats that the team at Kiehl’s wear aren’t a gimmick or a flashy uniform – they are a key part of the company’s history, as they started as a small pharmacy in NYC in 1851. They were the first company to put fluoride into their tooth treatments AND the first to widely distribute penicillin.
- One of Kiehl’s best-selling products is their Creme De Corps body moisturiser, but did you know that they sell enough bottles of Creme De Corps every year to build a wall higher than the Empire State building? Now that’s a lotta creme!
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial cream happens to be my all-time favourite moisturiser (especially for parched winter skin!), and picking up a pot will support MTV’s Staying Alive Foundation, which helps to empower and educate young women to protect themselves from HIV. Kiehl’s also help many other worldwide charities targeting help for children, wildlife / the environment and HIV / AIDS prevention…
- …but it’s not just international charities: Kiehl’s also do a lot to support their local communities too! In fact, our Buchanan Street store have been raising funds to donate to Glasgow Children’s Hospital Charity – most recently by taking part in a 5k with Alfie the dog and his friends. Over the next few months the store will be working on other initiatives to provide even more donations, so be sure to pop in during your next shopping spree and see how to get involved!
- The Mayor of New York City declared November 12th to be Kiehl’s Day back in 2003, so if you happen to visit any Kiehl’s store around the world on that date, there’ll be some sort of celebration going down.
So, if you’re a fan of Kiehl’s, I hope you enjoyed this opportunity to geek out a little bit with me and, if you weren’t too aware of them, maybe this will tempt you to go in store or online and check them out!
Do you have a skincare routine that would put me to shame? What’s your must-have product from Kiehl’s?
*- or maybe you DID know?! 5 things you probably didn’t know didn’t have the same ring to it!